Vermont Arts Council

Vermont Flood Disaster Resources

Attention: Arts and Culture Organizations

Report damages

The Vermont Arts & Culture Disaster and Resilience Network (VACDaRN) is gathering reports on damages to arts and culture organizations, especially to collections and buildings, in order to assess needs for on-site/direct help and share the impact of this event with state agencies. Please complete this form or contact Rachel Onuf at [email protected].
NOTE for public, school, or academic libraries: Please use the Vermont Department of Libraries form.

Emergency Reporting and Resources

  • Reporting damage to Vermont 211 is essential. As the State and FEMA work to assess damage and get other counties declared, it remains critical for Vermonters (individuals and businesses) to report flood damage to Vermont 211, especially in undeclared counties. Doing so will help FEMA open financial assistance and help the State ask for additional assistance from Congress. Even if you don’t need support yourself, or have already cleaned up or made repairs, reporting your damage will help your neighbors. Report damage or call 211.
  • Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development Severe Storm Recovery Resource Center. ACCD also encourages businesses and nonprofits to participate in its Flood Economic Injury Survey (10 minutes). This survey is not tied to any specific funding at this time, but the data will be compiled to help inform recovery efforts and advocate for potential future funding or aid.
  • Vermont Agency of Natural Resources Flood Recovery Resources
  • Vermont Small Business Development Center Disaster Recovery Guide
  • Vermont Department of Labor Disaster Unemployment Assistance
  • Vermont Arts & Culture Disaster and Resilience Network (VACDaRN) Storm Recovery Resources
  • Preservation Trust of Vermont Vermont Flood Guide: Preparation, Response & Recovery
  • The Craft Emergency Relief Fund (CERF+) provides a recovery resources page with extensive information about how to clean up and how to salvage.
  • Vermont Volunteers. If you are in need of volunteers in your area, please email [email protected] to ask for volunteers.
  • Vermont Department of Health has posted multiple resources for dealing with mold.
  • Vermont Law School and the Vermont Bar Association offer legal assistance for flood victims.

Recovery Funding for Artists, Organizations, and Creative Businesses

  • Enhanced Rebates for Flood-Damaged Business Equipment from Efficiency Vermont. Offers rebate of 100% of costs, up to $16,000 cash back, on replacing up to four qualifying products damaged in the flood, including heating and cooling, water heating, refrigeration, commercial kitchen equipment, building envelope. This can be combined with standard Efficiency Vermont incentives. Technical assistance is also available. Learn more at
  • State and Federal Tax Credits through Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development, including for flood relief. For more information, contact [email protected] or call 802-828-3047.
  • Vermont Community Foundation is offering Storms and Flooding Relief Funding “Special and Urgent Needs” grants of up to $5,000 for nonprofits.
  • The Craft Emergency Relief Fund (CERF+) offers direct emergency financial assistance to craft artists. If you are a materials-based artist or artisan impacted by the storms, visit CERF’s recovery resources page and submit an inquiry for its Emergency Relief program.
  • The Vermont Main Street Flood Recovery Fund provides grants to small business owners impacted by flooding to cover costs such as equipment replacement, supplies, and help with clean-up.
  • FEMA assistance may be available for homeowners, renters, and businesses, depending on your location. Enter your zip code on to see available resources.
  • For non-profits providing essential services (which includes some arts organizations and libraries) in the 11 counties that have public assistance declarations (Franklin, Grand Isle, and Essex currently excluded), FEMA Public Assistance (PA) may be available. To learn more about the program and how to apply, attend an Applicant Briefing. Public institutions (including nonprofits) with eligibility questions can also email Ben Rose, Recovery and Mitigation Section Chief at the Vermont Department of Public Safety’s Emergency Management, at [email protected]
  • The U.S. Small Business Administration is providing low-interest loans for certain private nonprofits, as well as low-interest loans for homeowners, renters, and for-profit businesses that were damaged in the flood. Find more information at the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development’s Storm Recovery Resource Center.
  • The Business Emergency Gap Assistance Program (BEGAP) from the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development opened on Aug. 3 and closed on Oct. 23, 2023. This $20 million, first come/first serve program is designed to aid businesses and nonprofits that suffered physical damages from flooding dating back to July 7.
  • Vermont Arts Council Flood Relief Funding for Artists is now closed.
  • Vermont Humanities Flood Relief Grants is now closed.

How To Help

How To Stay Safe

Status of Arts Council Offices

The Vermont Arts Council offices were heavily damaged by flooding, along with all of downtown Montpelier. While our offices are closed and inaccessible, the team is working from home and available. Find contact info on our staff page or complete our online contact form.

After we move from emergency response into community and economic recovery efforts, the Vermont Arts Council and its partners will work diligently to ensure that the creative sector is well informed and connected to state and federal resources.

Last updated Feb. 2, 2024

Desmond Peeples July 11, 2023