Classified Ad: General Manager
Posted: March 30, 2019
Category: Job Postings
End Date: May 15, 2019
Updated Spring 2019
As a creative partner, the General Manager at Yellow Barn has an essential position at one of the most highly regarded chamber music centers in the world, a place that has great importance to the artistic life of the musicians that have been a part of it and to Yellow Barn audiences, both in Putney and across the country.
In addition to working collaboratively with the Executive Director and Artistic Director to advance Yellow Barn’s mission, the General Manager has an array of responsibilities that are critical to the daily operation of Yellow Barn programs: the core Yellow Barn Program and the Young Artists Program in the summer; year-round Artist Residencies in Putney; ongoing Yellow Barn Music Haul programs locally and nationally; and Music From Yellow Barn performances in major cities outside of Vermont.
The General Manager has the unique opportunity to join Yellow Barn in its 50th Anniversary year. As part of a leadership team, the GM will contribute directly to a successful capital campaign and the implementation of short- and long-term goals, including taking Yellow Barn Music Haul to scale and the establishment of an artists’ residence and center for music and social dialogue.
The ideal candidate will have the desire and ability to communicate personally and professionally with the local community, audiences from around the United States, and an international community of musicians. The General Manager will enjoy creative problem solving, take satisfaction in facilitating the best work of others, and excel in a fast-paced, varied work environment where every position is driven by a belief in Yellow Barn’s work and high production values.
In particular, the General Manager should have the following personal and professional qualifications:
• A passion for Yellow Barn’s mission, and an understanding of its purpose and potential
• 5 to 7 years of non-profit arts management experience
• Experience managing and working within a small team
• Demonstrated outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work within budget parameters, including creative thinking when unexpected expenses and income opportunities present themselves
• An optimistic and flexible approach to problem solving
• A demonstrated track record of success with audience development and donor cultivation
• IT proficiency with MS Office and database management
AREAS OF WORK
The General Manager’s focus will be divided among three interwoven institutional priorities: Established programs, new initiatives, and the 50th Anniversary campaign.
Throughout the course of the 50th Anniversary campaign, it is imperative that Yellow Barn maintain its high level of excellence, which relies on robust annual marketing and development. The General Manager will assume significant responsibility in these areas, and will have the assistance of support staff, which the GM will manage. Additionally, the General Manager will devote time and energy to collaborative work with Yellow Barn’s directors to ensure Yellow Barn’s vitality through ongoing strategic planning.
Specific responsibilities include:
Annual Development and Marketing
• Steward Yellow Barn’s audience and membership base, particularly during the summer festival, together with year-round donor management and cultivation
• Lead specific fundraising initiatives, including managing special events
• Implement the annual summer festival PR campaign, and manage marketing and PR opportunities between summers
• Facilitate of marketing and PR between Yellow Barn and collaborating organizations
• Research new marketing and fundraising possibilities
Implementation of the business plan for Yellow Barn Music Haul
• Research target areas for Yellow Barn Music Haul
• Manage tour production details
• Conduct tour-specific marketing
• Develop specific income sources
Support for the Artist Residencies as they evolve into a residency center for music and social dialogue
• Manage certain aspects of residency programs
• Participate in exploring new program avenues
Support for Yellow Barn’s 50th Anniversary Campaign
• Assist with institutional advancement, such as national grants and major donor cultivation
• Support work conducted by the Yellow Barn Trustees and special committees
The General Manager lives in the Putney area for two and a half to three months each summer, but may work remotely during the rest of the year. If living outside of the Putney area, the GM must live within comfortable commuting distance in order to be in Putney for Artist Residencies and at other times as needed. In addition, the General Manager travels elsewhere in the United States for Yellow Barn Music Haul tours and some Music From Yellow Barn performances.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The General Manager receives the following compensation and benefits:
• Starting salary of $70,000 annually, increasing to $78,000 within the first six months, followed by annual performance-based increases
• An additional $6,000 for health care annually
• Housing near Putney, when needed
• Meals on campus during summer programs
• 25 days of paid vacation, including holidays when the office is closed (Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day)
APPLICATIONS AND MORE INFORMATION
Yellow Barn aims to fill this position by May 15, 2019.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resumé by email to: Catherine Stephan, Executive Director