Creation Grants support artists or artist groups in creating new work. Grant funds may be used to compensate the artists for time spent creating new work, to purchase materials, or to rent equipment or space for the process. This highly competitive program is reviewed by an independent panel of practicing artists and arts professionals. Both established and emerging artists are encouraged to apply.
New grant amounts for FY24: Applicants may request any amount up to $5,000.
These are examples of fundable projects:
- A multimedia artist creating a new video series
- A writer completing the first draft of a novel
- A dance ensemble developing choreography for a new piece
- A visual artist creating art for exhibition that explores new subjects and techniques
- A musician composing music for a new album
For other examples of fundable projects, see our recent grantees. Learn more about the latest grantees and their work on our Creation Grantee bio page (currently under construction).
Creation Grants are supported in part by the Vermont Community Foundation’s Arts Endowment Fund.
New! The People’s Choice Creation Grant Award
The People’s Choice Creation Grant Award is a unique opportunity for artists—and the broader Vermont community—to participate in the highly competitive Creation Grant program, discover new artists across a wide range of artistic disciplines, and vote on which amazing proposal to fund (it will be a challenge)!
Creation Grant applicants choose on their application whether they would like their proposal to also be considered for the People’s Choice. It’s not mandatory! But by choosing to participate in the People’s Choice, you might:
- Increase your chances of receiving Creation Grant award funding
- Receive additional exposure of your work
- Increase your potential for additional support by listing your social payment service or crowdfunding platform for direct donations from the broader community.
Read more in the People’s Choice Guidelines.
Have a question that wasn’t answered in the guidelines and materials below? Contact:
Application and Deadline
Program will open for applications in 2024
Tips and Tutorials
Held Feb. 9, 2023 via Zoom
Current Grantees (coming soon)
The Council accepts grant applications via an online form. If you require an alternate format or assistance to access the application, please contact the grant program manager listed above or Michele Bailey, accessibility coordinator by email or at 802.402.4614. Voice and relay calls welcome.