Artist Development Grants support artists at all stages of their careers. Grants can fund activities that enhance mastery of an artist’s craft or skills; activities that increase the viability of an artist's business; or for teaching artists, developing the skills necessary to provide instruction in K-12 schools remotely during the COVID-19 crisis. Funding may also support aspects of the creation of new work when the activity allows the grantee to accept a rare and important opportunity.
- Eligible expenses for such activities include, but are not limited to:
- advanced study of technique or practice with a mentor
- attending a professional conference to build business or artistic skills or knowledge
- contracting professional services including photographic documentation of work, contract preparation or business incorporation, creation of accounting systems, developing e-commerce on a website, creation of marketing materials, etc.
- marketing, planning, purchasing some materials, or renting space for new exhibitions or performances
- adapting and responding to the current COVID-19 crisis
- travel within the United States
For examples of previously funded projects, look at our list of recent grantees.