Artist Development Grants support artists at all stages of their careers. Grants can fund activities that enhance mastery of an artist’s craft or skills; activities that increase the viability of an artist's business; or for teaching artists, developing the skills necessary to provide instruction in K-12 schools remotely during the COVID-19 crisis. Funding may also support aspects of the creation of new work when the activity allows the grantee to accept a rare and important opportunity.
Eligible expenses for such activities include, but are not limited to:
- advanced study of technique or practice with a mentor
- attending a professional conference to build business or artistic skills or knowledge
- contracting professional services including photographic documentation of work, contract preparation or business incorporation, creation of accounting systems, developing e-commerce on a website, creation of marketing materials, etc.
- marketing, planning, purchasing some materials, or renting space for new exhibitions or performances
- adapting and responding to the current COVID-19 crisis
- travel within the United States
For examples of previously funded projects, see our list of FY2021 grantees.
Thanks to a new partnership with the Vermont Community Foundation and a generous contribution from Higher Ground, we are able to double our investment in Artist Development Grants for this year.
The Council accepts grant applications via an online form. If you require an alternate format or assistance to access the application, please contact the grant program manager listed above or Michele Bailey, accessibility coordinator by email or at 802.402.4614. Voice and relay calls welcome.