Skip to Content

Looks like you're using an outdated browser!

For the best experience browsing our site, please use a modern web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.

Who May Apply

Generally, the Council provides opportunities for individuals as well as organizations to apply for funding. This includes charitable nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, agencies of state government, counties, and municipalities as defined below. Other groups or organizations may apply to certain programs by working with a fiscal agent.

See program-specific guidelines for more detailed eligibility information.

Requirements for Individuals

Individuals must be:

  1. residents of Vermont for a minimum of one year prior to the application deadline and residents at the time the award is granted
  2. eighteen years of age or older at the time of application

Requirements for Organizations

Organizations must be either:

  • a charitable nonprofit organization incorporated in Vermont as a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
    • On a case-by-case basis, a 501(c)(3) organization in a neighboring state that can demonstrate significant benefit to Vermont artists and/or audiences may be allowed to submit an application provided that, other than being registered in Vermont, the organization meets all other eligibility requirements. Such organizations should contact the appropriate grant program manager before applying
  • an educational institution defined as a public, union, or independent school or district recognized by the Vermont Agency of Education serving K-12 students
  • an agency of state government or local government, including:
    1. state agencies
    2. counties
    3. municipalities including incorporated cities, towns, and villages

Data Universal Number System (D-U-N-S) Number

Organizations receiving grant funds from the Council or acting as a fiscal agent must provide their unique, nine-digit D-U-N-S number. D-U-N-S is a tool of the federal government used to track how federal money is distributed. Most large organizations such as schools, libraries, and universities already have a D-U-N-S number. You may search for your organization’s D-U-N-S number and/or apply for a new D-U-N-S number on the Dun and Bradstreet website.

fiscal agents

Some of our grant programs (Arts Impact and Animating Infrastructure) allow an applicant without tax-exempt status to apply using a fiscal agent. A fiscal agent must be a charitable nonprofit organization incorporated in Vermont as a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Typically, fiscal agents for Council grants are cultural institutions such as community arts organizations or local arts councils, government agencies, historical societies, or museums and not-for-profit galleries. The fiscal agent becomes the legal applicant of record, redistributes the funds to the intended recipient, and is entirely responsible for all published requirements of the grants program. These include contracts, revised budgets, fiscal records, and reports.

The Council recommends that a fiscal agent enter into a formal agreement with the applicant implementing the project, outlining the working relationship between the two parties. A sample letter of agreement is available here. This fiscal agent form should be submitted as an attachment with the grant application.

When the grant is awarded, the fiscal agent and grantee sign the grant agreement agreeing to all its terms. The fiscal agent receives the grant payment directly from the Arts Council.