Northern Stage Director of Sales & Marketing
Northern Stage’s Director of Sales & Marketing is an essential member of the leadership of an energized, professional regional theater company with a mission of changing lives, one story at a time. The position is responsible for developing strategy and implementing annual campaigns with the goal of building the company’s audience, brand, and earned income potential.
The Director of Sales & Marketing oversees all activities of the five-person Sales & Marketing Department, which is responsible for generating 35-45% of the company’s annual income (approx $1.5M for the upcoming fiscal year) through subscription and single ticket campaigns, education program registrations and ticket sales, student matinee initiatives, playbill ad sales, press relations, graphic and video presentations, advertising placement, community outreach/engagement, and public communications.
This individual will be a bridge builder who creates accessible pathways to audiences that have not otherwise been represented, with the goal of radical inclusion in all marketing materials, social media platforms, and press strategies. Reporting to the Managing Director and working closely with the Producing Artistic Director and senior leadership team, the Director of Sales & Marketing will also be instrumental in supporting the theater’s work in all areas of inclusion and anti-racism.
– Develop and execute comprehensive short- and long-term institutional marketing plans, including campaigns for main stage and student productions, public events, education programs, subscription sales, school matinees, access initiatives, fundraising campaigns, and the institutional brand.
– Lead and provide guidance to box office, front of house, and marketing staff members (four direct reports). Manage relationships with volunteers, house managers, and external contractors.
– Oversee daily operations of the Sales & Marketing department, including excellent and front-footed customer service, weekly financial reporting, regular tracking of progress against budgets, accuracy and efficiency of PatronManager CRM database, and maintenance of marketing archives.
– Ensure consistent branding and messaging – written, verbal, and visual. This includes website, email correspondence, direct mailings, brochures, playbills, videos, print materials, social media, etc.
– Empower others to do great work and personally model behaviors that promote excellence, responsibility, and innovation. Serve as active leader on theater’s Senior Management Team.
– Create the annual Sales & Marketing budget, and monitor and manage budgeted expenses to ensure achievement of earned income goals and related activities.
– Maintain consistent and positive relations with the press. Grow media exposure and reach. Oversee pitching and communication of all news, stories, press releases, etc.
– Manage and inspire Board ambassadorship efforts in conjunction with the Development team.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic, collaborative, creative leader with at least 5 years of arts marketing experience (theater strongly preferred), including direct ticket sales and campaign management experience. This should include at least 2 years managing direct reports, and/or external vendors and consultants. This individual will bring an understanding of not-for-profit structure, an ability to advocate for marketing initiatives, and a comfort engaging and collaborating with artists in support of their work. Excellent writing/communication skills are required, and design experience is a plus.
This is a full time position. Standard work days are Monday – Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm, but the Director of Sales & Marketing will be expected to occasionally work evenings/weekends to attend/host Northern Stage performances.
Compensation: $58,000-70,000 annual (exempt), commensurate with experience, plus health, dental and vision benefits, opt-in 403(b), paid time off, and other benefits. Subsidized housing is available for lease through Northern Stage. Relocation assistance will be provided if the successful candidate is non-local.
Ideal start date of May 8, 2023.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two marketing writing samples in PDF format to Managing Director Jason Smoller via SUBMITTABLE. All inquiries and materials will be confidential. https://northernstage.submittable.com/submit/259433/director-of-sales-marketing
We believe the most important and impactful art is made when we consider and commit to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access both on and off of our stage. We highly encourage folks who are Black, Native or Indigenous, People of Color, Queer or Trans, Poor or Working Class, Disabled, Young, Elderly, and/or who speak English as a second language to apply. To learn more about Northern Stage, please visit our website:www.northernstage.org