Northern Stage – Assistant Lead Electrician
Northern Stage, a LORT D regional theater in White River Junction, VT, seeks an experienced Assistant Lead Electrician to join the full-time staff. Northern Stage produces a mainstage season, an education season, a New Works festival, and numerous events year-round in our indoor 240-seat Byrne Theater and our outdoor 190-seat Courtyard Theater. This position reports directly to the Director of Production, with supervision from the Lead Electrician and works closely with Lighting Designers, Projection Designers, and other production department heads to help coordinate all electrics-related activity necessary to execute programming.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist the Lead Electrician in the planning and execution of all lighting and video designs including hang, focus, maintenance, and strike.
- Function as the Lead Electrician for designated education productions and special events.
- Help plan and execute onstage practicals, atmospherics, and special effects.
- Help to maintain lighting and video inventory and grid space, including but not limited to intelligent LED fixtures and cue lights. Perform equipment repairs as needed.
- Program and operate an ETC Ion lighting console and RVI for productions.
- Run a followspot and/or be a Deck Electrician for designated productions.
- Attend scheduled production and staff meetings as a representative of the Electrics department when the Lead Electrician is not available.
- Maintain the cleanliness, organization, and safety of the dimmer room and other storage spaces.
- Provide support for events outside the mainstage and education seasons.
- Support other production departments as needed.
- Work with the Lead Electrician to plan and facilitate rentals, borrows, and loans.
- Two or more years of experience in professional theatrical lighting. A combination of education and professional experience will be considered.
- Strong knowledge of the ETC Ion, Lightwright, and Vectorworks. Isadora and AutoCAD experience a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office & Google Suite.
- Strong knowledge of conventional dimming and lighting fixture operation and maintenance.
- Knowledge of basic rigging practices and intelligent LED fixtures preferred.
- Experience with wiring and soldering especially as they relate to practicals and LED diodes/tape.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and organization skills.
- Excellent numerical skills and attention to detail. Experience managing and adhering to budgets.
- Ability to read and understand theatrical safety manuals and MSDS sheets.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to approach challenges collaboratively.
- Proficiency with hand and power tools. Soldering experience is a plus.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive a box truck a plus.
- Comfortable working at heights in excess of 20 feet in a lift and on a tension mesh grid.
- Ability to safely lift 50 lbs.
- BA or BFA in technical theater a plus.
Job Type: Full time, with some nights and weekends required
Contract Dates: 8/1/23 – 5/26/24 with possibility for renewal. Flexible start date.
Compensation: $42,000 annual salary paid bi-monthly (overtime exempt)
Benefits: Northern Stage offers dental and life insurance and covers 100% of these premiums, and offers vision as an optional add-on with an employee contribution of $1/month. Accident insurance is available at an employee cost of $15/month. We offer an employee-funded 403(b) retirement account, an FSA, and pet insurance. There is a 60-day waiting period following your hiring date before Northern Stage benefits become active, with the exception of the 403(b) program, which is active on the first day of employment.
PTO: All full time Northern Stage staff members are eligible for Paid Time Off, according to our PTO policy.
How to apply: Submit the following materials via Submittable: https://northernstage.submittable.com/submit/268043/assistant-lead-electrician-fy24
- Cover letter
- Three (3) professional references
- Portfolio or samples of previous work welcomed but not required