Development Manager — Kinhaven Music School
…a unique residential summer music camp located in the rolling green hills of Weston, Vermont. Classical chamber music education and performance in a collaborative, non-competitive environment are at the heart of our programs for youth and adults. Kinhaven’s programs include music making, singing, and chamber music performance, as well as many non-musical activities. Students make new friends, learn from expert and caring faculty, and thrive on great food, a beautiful countryside, and an atmosphere of genuine sharing and support.
Our board and staff is passionate about our mission: To offer joyous and rigorous music-making education to accomplished youth and adults in a nurturing, noncompetitive, and collaborative environment. Kinhaven is in the midst of multiple exciting initiatives under the dynamic, visionary leadership of our Executive Directors and Board of Trustees. Our desire is to reach more people in new ways, become more widely known in Vermont and nationally, and ensure the school remains healthy and financially stable for the long term.
DEVELOPMENT MANAGER POSITION
Kinhaven Music School is seeking a Development Manager, a new position. The successful candidate will work closely with the Executive Directors and Board to identify, engage, and steward donors, the press, the public, and students and faculty. Duties include assisting with donor relations, managing the donor database, recording and acknowledging gifts, creating reports on individual and institutional donors, preparing a development story for the monthly newsletter, planning and executing donor events, and providing other support as requested by the Executive Directors and Board in their fundraising efforts. As almost anybody interacting with Kinhaven will come into contact with the Development Manager, the successful candidate will be a key member of the Kinhaven team.
Kinhaven Music School seeks a highly motivated individual to support fundraising operations. The Development Manager will execute fundraising and related tasks as outlined on a yearly calendar, including development administration, prospect research, and support of solicitation and stewardship cycles. This position may require occasional evening and weekend work. This position is expected to grow in responsibility as Kinhaven expands its stature and donor base.
● Ensure the timely documentation and acknowledgement of all gifts, and ensure data integrity and accuracy. ● Support stewardship activities, including writing acknowledgment notes.
● Conduct research on prospects and assemble materials for cultivation and solicitation meetings.
● Generate clear, action-oriented meeting notes for the Executive Directors and Board Development Committee.
● Coordinate development, production, and distribution of recurring appeals and stewardship materials for the Annual, Capital, and Endowment funds.
● Assist in writing and editing of appeals, acknowledgments, donor news, reports, and proposals.
● Collaborate with the Executive Directors and Board to plan special events.
● Communicate with donors in person or by phone and email.
● Process incoming and outgoing mail.
● Assist with the creation and management of social media related to development.
● Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit administration, business administration, communications, or relevant field.
● At least two years of experience in an office environment.
● Excellent communication skills and judgment, with the ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality.
● Excellent interpersonal skills.
● Excellent telephone presence and etiquette.
● Proficient with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
● Experience with database software (e.g., DonorPerfect) a plus.
● Comfortable in a Mac or PC environment.
● Valid driver’s license. Preferred qualifications
● Familiarity with non profits.
● Understanding of research methods, data standards, and databases.
● Fundraising experience.
● Affinity for the arts.
Please send resume, cover letter, and a short sample of professional writing to: [email protected], with the words “Development Manager” in the subject line.
Kinhaven Music School is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.