Call for Nominations: Vermont Poet Laureate
Governor Peter Shumlin and the Vermont Arts Council invite you to submit nominations for the appointment of a new Vermont Poet Laureate.
Nominations were to be submitted through the Council’s online form no later than 11:55 p.m. (EST) Friday, May 1, 2015.
This four-year appointment will be made by the Governor based on the recommendation of a Governor-appointed distinguished panel. The panel will make its recommendation based upon how well the nominated poet meets the following criteria:
The Vermont Poet Laureate is :
- a resident of Vermont (Vermont being his/her primary residence)
- whose poetry manifests a high degree of excellence
- who has produced a critically acclaimed body of work
- who has a long association with Vermont
The nominee must agree to participate from time to time in official ceremonies and readings at the Vermont State House and other locations.
The poet selected shall receive an honorarium of $1,000 provided by the Vermont Arts Council.
Deadline for nominations (past): May 1, 2015
- June 2015: nominations reviewed and finalists selected
- July 2015: completed works of finalists reviewed
- August 2015: poet recommendation made to Governor
- October 2015: appointment ceremony
Nominations were to be submitted online and include:
- the name and contact information of the nominated poet
- a short statement explaining why the particular poet should receive the appointment
- the name of at least one published work of the nominated poet including the name of the publisher and date published
- the name and address of the person making the nomination
Questions regarding nominations should be directed to:
Senior Program Director
Please inform the Council of any specific accommodations you may need to facilitate your participation in the nomination process.
Alternative formats are available upon request. Questions regarding accessibility should be addressed to Michele Bailey, 504/ADA Coordinator, Vermont Arts Council Contact her by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 802.828.3294 (voice and relay calls welcome).