Vermont Arts Council

Frequently Asked Questions for Cultural Recovery Grants

If our organization applies for and receives a Covid-19 Cultural Recovery Relief Grant, will we still be eligible for other Vermont Arts Council or Vermont Humanities grants?

Yes. Funding for this program is provided primarily from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) through the American Recovery Plan Act of 2021. If you are eligible for other Arts Council or Vermont Humanities grants, such as Vermont Humanities Project Grants, Arts Partner grants, or Cultural Facilities grants, you may still apply for and receive that funding.

If our organization already received a Covid-19 Cultural Relief Grant or another state or federal relief grant, are we still eligible to apply? 


What are the legal and other requirements for organizations listed in the grant guidelines?

For Arts Council grants, awardees must comply with the legal and other requirements listed on the Vermont Arts Council website. Compliance is required in order to be eligible for funding. Applicants are asked to certify that they comply in the application form.

I don’t know if our organization has a DUNS number or how to apply for one.

Organizations receiving these grant funds must provide their unique, nine-digit DUNS number. DUNS (Data Universal Number System) is a tool of the federal government used to track how federal money is distributed. Most large organizations such as schools, libraries, and universities already have a DUNS number. While the number is not required when you apply, we cannot disperse funds without this registration. You may search for your organization’s DUNS number and/or apply for a new DUNS number on the Dun and Bradstreet website.

Our organization does both arts and humanities programming. Do I need to submit two applications?

No. Select the option in the drop-down menu indicating that you work in both areas. Be sure to address both arts and humanities programming in your narrative responses.

My organization is not registered in Vermont but I’m in a neighboring state and serve many Vermont audiences. Can I still apply?

No. The organization must be a charitable nonprofit organization incorporated in Vermont as a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Since every state is receiving funds from the NEH and NEA for relief to organizations, check in with the arts and humanities councils where you are incorporated to inquire about possible funding in your state.

Our organization is not a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Can we still apply if we use a fiscal agent?


I’m having trouble logging into the grant portal.

The Vermont Arts Council recently switched to a new grant management system. If you have applied for a grant using the old system, your login credentials will no longer work. All applicants, new and old, must register in this new system using the “Register” link on the portal landing page. All organization applicants must be approved before the applications become visible. Please allow one to two business days for approval. If you run into issues with registration or signing in, please email Meredith Bell.

What is the difference between a project-based grant and a general operating grant?

In a project-based grant, all of the costs must relate to the execution of a specific project. In an operations-based grant, eligible costs are not tied to a specific project.

grant homepage
grant guidelines

admin-place June 17, 2021