Many positives result when teaching artists and classroom teachers come together in both arts and non-arts classrooms. These include:
- developing new skills as educators
- establishing techniques or lesson plans that can be used again
- capturing artists’ expertise to support or assess student learning goals
- engaging a broad range of students
- creating a positive classroom environment
Artists on the Council’s Teaching Artist Roster are professionals with extensive experience in education. Their school residencies can be funded through the Council's Artists in Schools Grants which provide arts experiences for students and professional development for teachers of all disciplines who are interested in teaching through the arts.
Professional Development Opportunity
Program participants who complete the course receive three graduate-level credits through Saint Michael’s College and a stipend to cover tuition costs. Arts Connect 2016 took place during St. Michael's College fall semester.