Many positives result when teaching artists and classroom teachers come together in both arts and non-arts classrooms. These include:
- developing new skills as educators
- establishing techniques or lesson plans that can be used again
- capturing artists’ expertise to support or assess student learning goals
- engaging a broad range of students
- creating a positive classroom environment
Artists on the Council’s Teaching Artist Roster are professionals with extensive experience in education. Their school residencies can be funded through the Council's Artists in Schools Grants which provide arts experiences for students and professional development for teachers of all disciplines who are interested in teaching through the arts.
Northern Vermont Collaborative
The Arts Council is partnering with Catamount Film and Arts, the Community Engagement Lab, River Arts, VSA Vermont, and WonderArts VT to bring opportunities, resources, and connection to teaching artists in the Northeast Kingdom and surrounding areas. Several events are scheduled through June, 2018.
- November 5: Teaching Artist Mixer at the Highland Center for the Arts, Greensboro
- tba: Engaging Reluctant Learners Workshop I
- tba: Engaging Reluctant Learners Workshop II
- tba: Universal Design for Learning Workshop I
- tba: Universal Design for Learning Workshop II
Teaching Artist Academy and Fellowship Program
This event is produced by the Community Engagement Lab. Hands-on experimentation and individual coaching from leading experts in the field will help selected participants develop tools and skills for advancing the scope and reach of their work in partnership with schools.
Academy sessions are January 13-14 and March 24-25, at Lake Morey Resort. Apply online by November 15.