Collaborating with a professional artist in a classroom engages students, fosters creativity, and improves student learning. Artists on the Council’s Teaching Artist Roster are professionals with extensive experience in education. Their school residencies can be funded through the VAC’s Artists in Schools Program—a program designed to provide arts experiences for students and professional development for teachers of all disciplines who are interested in teaching through the arts.
---Link to roster coming soon!---
Teaching artists on the roster are eligible to be part of a residency funded by the Council's Artists in Schools program. Artists applying to the roster must have:
- demonstrated teaching experience (2-year minimum) relevant to the field of arts education
- a history of appropriate public presentation of respective art form (i.e. performances, exhibits, screenings, readings, etc.)
- an ability to plan and work collaboratively
- an understanding of and ability to work within the public school system
- a commitment to professional development--as an artist and a teacher
- a listing in the Creative Ground Directory that reflects educational programming as a teaching artist
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of arts educators. Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Application Deadline: April 1
Notification: June 1
Evaluation Criteria for Applicants